Thursday, October 23, 2014

Northwest Pastel Society's small works show, and a new painting.

I will be participating in the Northwest Pastel Society's upcoming small works show at the Elsinore Gallery in Salem, Oregon.  The show runs from November 5th to the 26th, with the opening reception being on the 5th from 5-8.  I can't wait to see everyone's beautiful work!
I painted something new for the show, having just sold one of the paintings that I had planned on entering!  This was painted from a photo that I took driving around the beautiful area where I live.  I have a couple of progress photos for those of you who enjoy seeing them.





"Evening Rising", 8x10, pastel on board
Available through Etsy 


I started this one as I often do with a watercolor underpainting- you can still just see my sketch underneath.




Then I started putting in the rows of the plowed field, trying to get the right feeling of movement.




A bit more work on the foreground...





You can see that I got caught up here and forgot to take progress photos for a bit...  :)  Nearly done except for the back row of hills and a bit of work to the sky.  I am noticing that the colors on this photo came out odd - too dark and too cold.  No doubt the sun went behind the clouds while I was working!  :)






And here it is finished again~


Thanks for looking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment